Emacs seems to be dragging down other processes?

I've recently been having general performance problems on my Win7 laptop,
mostly realized by very slow switches to workspaces (Dexpot).  I've been
watching processes using high cpu, and I'm trying to watch for processes
with high i/o, but I'm not as certain how to find those (I'm using Process
Explorer).  I finally discovered that when I kill my Cygwin Emacs process,
it clears up immediately.  When I restart Emacs, it's fine for a while, but
then it eventually slows down again, and then killing it clears it up
again. I've found other processes that are suspicious in terms of
performance, but none of those had as much of an impact as the Emacs
process.  Curiously, when I'm actually USING Emacs, I don't notice any
particular slowdown.

My Emacs process mostly just sits, without very much foreground activity.
I sometimes have pretty large file buffers, in the megabyte range.

I vaguely remember recently seeing some messages go by on the list about
perf problems with Cygwin Emacs.  I didn't read them at the time, as I
wasn't having an issue.

Cygwin 3.0.1(0.338/5/3); Emacs 26.1.