Re: Fork issue with timerfd

On Mar  8 20:10, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:

> > > I couldn't directly reproduce this issue, but I saw emacs using more
> > > an more memory while the cursor was blinking.  I found a resource leak
> > > in posix timers which was probably the cause for this problem.
> > >
> > > I pushed a patch and uploaded new developer snapshots to
> > > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> > >
> > > Please test.
> > I tested this:
> > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86/cygwin1-20190308.dll.xz
>
> > emacs was on for a long time, did not crash and as far as could judge it did not leak memory.
>
> > But it froze a couple of times which I cannot recall I have ever experienced before. I mean it suddenly became deaf and dumb and while I > > was actively editing the text, both the text area and the menu line got unresponsive. I could only shut it down from the task manager,
> > because the red X didn't work either.

What the heck.  The 0308 snapshot was supposed to fix these hangs as
described in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-03/msg00160.html

Are you sure it was the 0308 snapshot and not by any chance the 0306 one?

I can't reproduce this with 0308.  I'm typing lots and lots in emacs,
doing copy/paste with the mouse, and it just works with 0308.

> > On the next week I will try the debug version in the hope that it can make a trace or something helpful. Is there a guide somewhere how to > use it?

Install the cygwin1.dbg file into /bin and When Emacs hangs, attach with
gdb and print the backtrace of each thread.  That should give a hint.

> I have been running https://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86/cygwin1-20190306.dll.xz , i.e., March 6th
> For a couple hours yesterday and all day today along with Ken Brown's test version of emacs (GNU Emacs 26.1.92)
> And have not had a hiccup.
> (Well, to be truthful, I'm running a lot more of Ken Brown's test software than just emacs.)

Can you please test the 0308 snapshot with stock emacs, too?

Ken, any chance you could test this as well?  If there really are still
hangs with current emacs and the 0308 snapshot, I might need a bit of
help.  Some kind of reproducer or some input as to the nature of the
hangs would be nice.

Thanks,
Corinna

--