64 bit setup fails to run on WIndows 10

Any ideas why the 64 bit setup program fails to run at all on my corporate
Windows 10 laptop, whereas the 32 setup runs fine?

The symptoms are whenever I run it either from the finder or from the
command line it does not initialize or produce any output.

The machine is modern Lenovo Thinkpad that's only a couple of years old.
it's running:

Windows 10 Enterprise V 1703 OS Build 15063.1631 64 bit.

I believe I have admin rights however even if I try to run it with
--no-admin it makes no difference - it simply does not execute. I have
noticed the same behavior with a couple of other open source windows
installers.