Re: sshd error "seteuid: No such device or address"

On Mar 12 17:09, David Dombrowsky wrote:
> I managed to solve this problem, but I'd love some confirmation that I
> solved it the right way.
>
> After updating cygwin and rebooting, all of a sudden I couldn't ssh
> into my windows box.  The remote gave the usual "connection closed by
> <bla> port 22" before anything happened.  Running in debug mode from
> an admin shell didn't yield anything, but looking in the windows
> application logs, I saw:
>
> sshd: PID 2588: fatal: seteuid 1056480: No such device or address
>
> The google suggested that the error was pty related, but it was not.
>
> By accident, I noticed that I could log in from an account that I
> hadn't set up public key auth, using my password.  So I forced ssh to
> prompt for my password and viola!  I got in just fine.
>
> On the server, I started another admin shell and did `passwd -R
> my.username` and input my password.  That was the key.  I can now log
> in using public key auth as I could a few hours ago.
>
> Was that the correct solution?  Is that expected?  This windows box is
> on a domain, so that might have something to do with it.

Just switch the account sshd is running under from "cyg_server" to
SYSTEM (or "LocalSystem") and you should be able to logon without the
passwd -R method again.

This is a side effect of changing how Cygwin switches the user
context by default.  See

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd1

HTH,
Corinna