Re: SSL not required for setup.exe download

On 2019-03-12 08:58, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:32 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> OTOH, if you download the file over HTTPS..  then your client supports
>>> SSL. Which is exactly what I'm saying should be mandatory.
>> Forcing TLS means blocking anyone who for any reason can not use TLS: this is a
>> performance and support burden compared to allowing both HTTP:80 and HTTPS:443.
> OK. Personally I have trouble believing any such person exists. That
> is, a person who has access to an HTTP client, but not an HTTPS
> client, for the one-time operation of downloading setup.exe. What are
> they using, a TRS-80?

I never said it was a person nor that they did not have access to a TLS client.
I said they could not use a TLS client, which could be because of platform
deficiencies, corporate policies, proxies, firewalls, security products.
Systems or images older than a year may need the new root CA installed - some
enterprises are very selective about including support for anything in their
images - and users may not have root CA store access.
I have systems which can support only original SSL not TLS - good luck using
HTTPS to or from them, without using equally old software or libraries!

> Anyway no worries, I'm giving up on this issue. Too much inertia around here.

Perhaps just a desire not to break users access based om a wider understanding
and experience of the variety across the complete ecosystem in which the
projects are used, not just folks using modern desktop GUIs with no system or
network access policies or restrictions.