Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.9

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> > I removed -s as suggested by Achim, added -g as advised by Corinna,
> > but cygport still says:
> > *** Info: No debug files, skipping debuginfo subpackage
>
> Well, do not reset CFLAGS in your Makefile and cygport helpfully
> provides all the scaffolding you need.  You might have noticed I
> replaced the ":=" in your Makefile for exactly that reason.  A build
> system is supposed to be able to pre-configure CFLAGS without your
> Makefile nixing all of that effort.

Also of interest is GNU Coding Standards, 7.2.3 Variables for
Specifying Commands
(https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Command-Variables.html):

If there are C compiler options that must be used for proper
compilation of certain files, do not include them in CFLAGS. Users
expect to be able to specify CFLAGS freely themselves. Instead,
arrange to pass the necessary options to the C compiler independently
of CFLAGS, by writing them explicitly in the compilation commands or
by defining an implicit rule, like this:

    CFLAGS = -g
    ALL_CFLAGS = -I. $(CFLAGS)
    .c.o:
            $(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $<

Do include the ‘-g’ option in CFLAGS, because that is not required for
proper compilation. You can consider it a default that is only
recommended. If the package is set up so that it is compiled with GCC
by default, then you might as well include ‘-O’ in the default value
of CFLAGS as well.

Put CFLAGS last in the compilation command, after other variables
containing compiler options, so the user can use CFLAGS to override
the others.

Jeff