Re: Does "cygport <cygport-file> install" actually install a compiled package?

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 22:43, Soegtrop, Michael wrote:
> I compiled a package using cygport <package.cygport> all. According to the documentation this should also install the package, but I don't see the files in my local installation updated. Is this a misunderstanding of what "install" means in this context or do I miss some command line options? cygport <package.cygport> install also seems to create the packages, but doesn't install anything as far as I can tell.

Yes, you're misunderstanding the intent of "cygport <package>
install". That command install the package into a temporary
subdirectory so that a subsequent "cygport <package> pack" can package
up the contents of the subdirectory to get all the installed files and
only the installed files by just bundling up the entire directory
contents. It's not intended to install anything so that it's available
for direct use in your local environment.

Cygport is a packaging tool, not an installation tool, and I'm not
sure there's a simple way to make it install a package into your
system directories so it can be used by a regularly installed package.
The best thing I can think of is to run the "cygport <package> pack"
command, find the tarballs that command will create, then unpack those
tarballs with "tar -xa -C / -f <tarball>"; that'll work for most
packages, although I suspect it won't work as expected for things that
have post-install scripts.

Adam