Re: cygport: how to install package sources for debugging without recompiling?

On 2019-05-30 12:00, Soegtrop, Michael wrote:
>> For Cygwin dlls, look at your installed lib... packages and install the related lib...-
>> debuginfo packages where available:
>> 	$ apt-cyg listall lib*-debuginfo | wc
>> 	    350    1050   12704
> As far as I can tell these files only contain sources, but nothing which
> would add debug info to stripped dlls:
> $ tar -xavf mingw64-x86_64-runtime-debuginfo-6.0.0-1.tar.xz
> $ find . -type f | sed -e 's/.*\.//' | sort -u
> xz
>> I am surprised at the number of supported mingw64- packages and the
>> scarcity of related -debuginfo packages:
> the MinGW support in Cygwin has very substantially improved in the last
> years, but indeed many -debuginfo packages for MinGW libs are missing.

The stripped exe debug info is saved as part of each cygport build and supplied
as part of the binary -debuginfo package, if available, under
/usr/lib/debug/usr/.../*.exe.dbg.

With recent cygport releases I believe everything is taken care of unless you
override (or mess up, or don't use) the cygport build and upload defaults.

If I want to try a package, I grab the sources from upstream, copy and modify a
cygport file to do the build, as it makes it so easy to use a variety of tool
chains I am unfamiliar with, and gdb if required for diagnosis.

$ apt-cyg listfiles cygwin-debuginfo | fgrep .dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/chattr.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/cygpath.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin-console-helper.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/ldh.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/strace.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/sbin/cygserver.exe.dbg
$ apt-cyg listfiles coreutils-debuginfo | fgrep .dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/arch.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/b2sum.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/base32.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/whoami.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/yes.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/[.exe.dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/libexec/coreutils/libstdbuf.so.dbg
$