Re: getent doesn't show all domain users

On May 27 09:59, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-05-27 03:15, Maayan Apelboim wrote:
> > I have a server in the domain (duplicated from another domain if it matters).
> > At first "getent passwd" run I see the user from the different domain, but
> > after a few runs it disappears.
> > Even after it disappears getent doesn't return all domain users while
> > mkpasswd -d returns all users.
> > When I try to chown user /home/user I get "invalid user" error - but this
> > user exists in the domain.
> > After a few restarts to the server or logging with the user the problem is
> > solved.
> > But I don't have a constant work around that works smoothly.
>
> Systems may have tens to hundreds of local user accounts, and domains
> may have hundreds to hundreds of thousands of user accounts.  The
> system probably caches only active users, and getent enumerates those
> if no /etc/passwd file exists, as it was designed to enumerate only a
> few entries from local files.  As it is, getent will not even
> enumerate hosts from the local hosts files or resolver.

Pointing to the user's guide which actually explains why this happens:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch-enum

The user's guide!  Probably the most unread document of all times... ;)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer