Re: Download setup-x86_64 issue

On 6/4/2019 8:09 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 6/4/2019 2:00 PM, john doe wrote:
>> Hi, I'm trying to download the setup file to update cygwin using
>> powershell but it fails miserably:
>>
>> PS > (new-object system.net.webclient).do
>> wnloadfile("https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe";, "$PWD/try.exe")
>> Exception calling "DownloadFile" with "2" argument(s): "The underlying
>> connecti
>> on was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
>> At line:1 char:47
>> + (new-object system.net.webclient).downloadfile <<<<
>> ("https://www.cygwin.com/
>> setup-x86_64.exe", "$PWD/try.exe")
>>      + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [],
>> MethodInvocationException
>>      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException
>>

>> It works for other URLs and would appriciate any input on the above.
>
> I just download with a web browser.  Any reason you have
> to do this programmatically instead?  Also, I know little
> about PS, but it could be that it just doesn't approve of
> this as a Microsoft-blessed kind of thing.  When I invoke
> setup, I get popups about this not being from the Windows
> Store, etc. -- simply plow on.

Yes, I'm using Powershell to update Cygwin through a script and the
script fails at the download step.

> Also, a web search suggests that wget to PowerShell is
> also fine.

I meant Cygwin's wget, the idea is to not require any extra tool(s) to
update Cygwin, sorry about that.

> And here's another tidbit from the web:
>
> powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted -Command (new-object
> System.Net.WebClient).Downloadfile('http://10.10.10.10:7000/iw4455.exe',
> 'C:\windows\temp\iw4455.exe')
>
> Perhaps the ExecutionPolicy thing is relevant here?

No -- se above, thanks anyway.

> Anyway, this question does not seem to be cygwin-specific, but
> more about PS ...

Everything was working a fiew days ago, and now, it isn't.

Thanks for your input.

--
John Doe