Trying to create default ACL entries to match file ACL entries

I am trying to create an entry for '/' (or '.' w/me sitting in '/')
where the default entries are the same as the file entries.

I noticed the example give in the manpage for copying entries:

The special filename "-" indicates reading from stdin.
       Note that you can use this with getfacl and setfacl to copy ACLs from
       one file to another:

           $ getfacl source_file | setfacl -f - target_file

so tried doing:

  getfacl . | setfacl -d - .

But keep running into:

  setfacl: missing entries.

Also tried writing to a file and modifying that.
Last try had:

# file: .
# owner: Bliss\law
# group: Bliss\lawgroup
default:user:Bliss\law:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Bliss\lawgroup:rwx
default:group:Bliss\Domain Admins:rwx
default:group:Bliss\Domain Users:r-x
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:other::r-x
mask::rwx
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x
----
But still with:
  /> setfacl -f /tmp/norm .
got:
  setfacl: missing entries.

Using it with '-d' just gave illegal acl entries, so
that didn't work either.

What am I missing?  Thanks!
-linda