Re: Running 'curl' with '-o' option failed with error "curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 720)"

On 2019-06-21 01:40, Ma Hao wrote:
> On 2019年06月21日 15点37分, Csaba Raduly wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 9:28 AM Ma Hao wrote:
>>> I was running into the problem when I tried to download spring:
>>> $ curl https://codeload.github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/zip/master -o /home/cdmahao/
>> You told curl to write the download to a file named /home/cdmahao/
>> Unfortunately, there is already a directory named /home/cdmahao/, and
>> curl can't write a file to a directory.
>> You need to give the name of a file to -o
>> $ curl https://codeload.github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/zip/master
>> -o /home/cdmahao/master.zip
>> curl works differently from wget. wget invents a filename based on the
>> URL. curl does not do that.
> Thanks for pointing that out.Appreciate your quick responding.

To make curl operate more like wget when downloading files, use curl -JOR where:

-O,--remote-name uses the trailing URL component as the filename to save;

-J,--remote-header-name works with -O,--remote-name to use the server
Content-Disposition header filename if available, instead of the trailing URL
component, as the filename to save;

-R,--remote-time is like wget -N,--timestamping and uses the remote file
modified time stamp if available;

--remote-name-all enables -O for all URLs specified in the command.

Note that curl will only download into the current directory and never
overwrites existing files, whereas wget supports -P,--directory-prefix=prefix,
and wget requires -nc,--no-clobber to suppress version suffixing the file names
of, or overwriting, existing files depending on other options specified.