Re: Bug in libX11 or something near ?

On 18/06/2019 17:07, Philippe wrote:
I'm using Cygwin/X and identified a critical bug using some piece of
software.
I don't really know where to begin, but I'm able to crash some applications
via the application's menu, only with Cygwin/X (no crash with Xming, and no
crash under any Linux distributions).

For information, It goes through VirtualGL. I'll give the example on how to
reproduce it with a free software : Paraview (under linux).

So you open Paraview, then clic on "View" > show the "Toolbars" submenu,
then you move your mouse directly on the "Sources" or "Edit" menu, then it
crashes immediately. The only error message in the linux shell (from where
it was launched) is "paraview: Fatal IO error: client killed".

I got those lines in the XWin.0.log file :
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0x130746
winTopLevelWindowProc - WM_DESTROY - WM_WM_KILL

Thanks for reporting this problem, and the clear reproduction steps.

This is an interesting bug in the Cygwin X server's multiwindow mode. It seems that under some circumstances, when removing a WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window which in turn had a child WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window (e.g. a menu which has a sub-menu), the X server's integrated WM would get confused and think that the main window had been closed (so terminating the application).

I've has a go at fixing this and uploaded a snapshot at [1]. Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

(I guessed you are using 64-bit Cygwin. If you need a 32-bit build instead, please let me know and I'll generate one)

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20190623-git-210c90b328cf8f18.exe.bz2

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer