Re: rename a user using setfacl -- possible? how?

On 2019-07-05 13:14, L A Walsh wrote:
> Have an acl on a file 'testfile' that appears to include a userid
> with a GUID corresponding to some older value for the local system.
> I'm gave the old guid a name in /etc/group different from its name,
> say calling it 'oldname' (where current name, is say, 'curname').
> I guess I don't know how to modify an entry to either 1-rename it, or
> 2 add the new entry.
> I tried
> setfacl -x group:oldname:rwx -m group:curname:rwx but got:
> setfacl: illegal acl entries
> will setfacl not work for this task?

Utilities like setfacl work with Windows ACLs, users, and groups defined and
displayed using net user|localgroup|group. You can't rename Windows users or
groups but you can add (or delete) them using the net commands and other
equivalent methods, and Windows will assign GUIDs, and Cygwin will show its
encoded RID/SID:
	/usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

> How do you add a new user to the access list -- obviously -x removes
> a user, but not sure if 'add' is covered by -m or whether or not you 'add'
> by specifying the new entry.

Use -m to add or changes entries in [D]ACLs.

> BTW -- is there an easy way to see the numeric values it is using
> for a given name?
> Like:
> group:Local account and member of Administrators group:rwx
> I remember seeing that, but it isn't in my /etc/group file.
> Tried getfacl with -n but that doesn't seem to be an option
> to display a numeric GUID.

If they are Windows users or groups which can be displayed using net commands,
then you can use:
$ id [USER|GROUP]
e.g.
$ id Administrator
uid=197108(Administrator) gid=197121(None) groups=197121(None)
$ id Administrators
uid=544(Administrators) gid=544(Administrators) groups=544(Administrators)