Re: cygwin can not be compiled with gcc 8.3.0

On 2019-07-06 02:24, Houder wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 22:33:20, Biswapriyo Nath  wrote:
>>> cygwin is built using cygport ...
>> Is there any docs about it? I don't find the cygwin.cygport file in source
>> tree. Also I don't use source tarballs, git is my first choice. Also the
>> configure script or Makefile didn't warn me that I've not that cygport
>> package/script.
> Documents about using cygport? Well, sort of ...
>  - https://cygwin.com/packages.html
>  - https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html
>  - https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/cygport.1.html
>  - https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport/blob/master/README
>  - https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/toc_index.html
> Using (Cygwin) git as starting point?
>  - https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=newlib-cygwin.git
>  - git is 'bleeding edge' (unstable by definition)
> cygwin.cygport file?
>  - No, not present in git ... (not present in the git for newlib-cygwin)
>  - a cygwin source tarball (to be found on any Cygwin mirror) is composed
>    of a tarball, which represents git at a 'specific moment' in time plus
>    the cygwin.cygport file
>  - specific moment? Look for the 'cygwin-3_x_y' tags in git ...
> mirrors: https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
> cygport build/ cygport package
>  - the cygport build system is basically a wrapper around autoconf etc.
>    (and build systems like cmake)
>  - i.e. configure, make (Makefile) do not know about cygport

Files like ....cygport and ....hint are for packaging and appear only in
packaged sources not git repos.

Install cygport package and dependencies then:

	$ cygstart /usr/share/doc/cygport/html/manual/index.html
or
	https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/

There are also source snapshots after Cygwin or newlib patches:

	https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
e.g.
	https://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86_64/cygwin-20190628-src.tar.xz

Using cygport makes it relatively trivial to build upstream packages, from
standard upstream mirrors or repos; using standard autotools, or configure and
make; cross building libraries for Mingw; addon modules for girepository, lua,
ocaml, perl, php, python2, python3, R, ruby, tcl, tex, vala; GUI libraries for
widget sets like qt and wx; or desktop window manager environments like GNOME,
KDE, LXDE, MATE, XFCE.

Whereas cygport automates a lot of the standard upstream source download, build
and package requirements, and Cygwin package repo upload, on the packager
maintainer client; calm automates a lot of the standard uploaded Cygwin package
repo checks, and maintenance of setup.ini entries, on the package repo primary
server.
Many source package builds also generate ...-debuginfo packages as well as
binary packages for both architectures, so there are three packages added to
each of the arch repos.
Library packages may also generate separate ...-devel packages for each arch to
support developer APIs, as well as the cyg....dlls in the binary packages.