exec fails with native programs

If I am using the Cygwin package "python", for the purpose of demonstrating
the problem I can write a script like this:

   #!/bin/sh
   exec python

If I run this it will spawn an extra "sh.exe", but the extra shell will exit
once Python has loaded. However if I use a native Python:

https://python.org/ftp/python/3.7.4/python-3.7.4-embed-amd64.zip

the same script will spawn an extra "sh.exe", but the extra shell will not exit
until Python has exited.