Re: Future setup regression caused by 'mkdir: always check-for-existence' commit

On 8/26/2019 11:25 AM, Stephen Provine via cygwin wrote:
> After this change (commit b0c033bf3fae810b9e5a5c69f17bd4de63725691), the Git for Windows setup (and future Cygwin setups) do not correctly configure bash features because the post-install step for configuring the /dev directory does not work any more. It used to be that "mkdir -m 755 /dev" would succeed, but now it returns a "File exists" error, after which attempts to create the 'shm' and 'mqueue' directories fail and the /dev/fd, /dev/std{in,out,err} links are not created. This causes some bash features to not work. The fix (validated on Git for Windows) would be for setups to pre-create this directory outside of the Cygwin environment before running the post-install steps.
>
> See https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/2291#issuecomment-524433693 for the in-depth analysis. Note, this is not a current issue in Cygwin, but is believed to become a FUTURE issue with the next release.

It looks like you've bumped into the bug reported here:

This was a bug in a development snapshot, and it has already been fixed.  You
should try the test release for cygwin-3.1.0 to confirm this.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with commit
b0c033bf3fae810b9e5a5c69f17bd4de63725691.

Ken