Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST: Cygwin 3.1.0-0.3

Am 07.09.2019 um 05:32 schrieb Takashi Yano:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 12:02:36 +0200
Thomas Wolff wrote:
A tool that sets up conpty itself (rawpty from
https://github.com/Biswa96/wslbridge2) does not work anymore with
conpty-enabled cygwin. This suggest that double-conpty enabling may be
interfering.
Unfortunately, I have not yet had the time to checkout the patch code in
detail, but my suspicion is that conpty may be enabled always, while it
should in fact be activated only if a non-cygwin program is run.
Please check out on this.
I have not looked into this yet, but as you might expect, the pseudo
console is always enabled behind even if it is not used.

Owing to this, a cygwin program which directly accesses the console,
as your previous test case, can work normally by just switching the
r/w pipe to pseudo console side.
I guess you are right. We are having different use cases. For the generic case, the always-enabled conpty support is probably the best solution. However, there are exceptions. One particular case is the gateway to WSL (wslbridge, wslbridge2, hvpty). When you run WSL from cygwin with conpty enabled, unfortunately, the pseudo console will enforce MS's idea of what a terminal is, i.e., it handles escape sequences, does not pass everthing through, responds to enquiry sequences itself, so the terminal cannot even report itself as mintty (or whatever) anymore. This unfortunate situation may hopefully resolve once they provide conpty "passthrough mode" as discussed in https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/1173 and also in https://github.com/mintty/wsltty/issues/171#issuecomment-526778377. So there is need to switch off conpty support for certain applications, e.g. via the CYGWIN environment variable. Please consider.
Thomas