Re: [bug] globify dospath reacts poorly with escaped double quotes

On 2019-10-10 02:30, Mingye Wang wrote:
>>> MSYS2 has this problem too.
>>
>> Probably not a bug then but a feature for Cygwin.
>> Msys2 is another system with different goals, using GNU toolchains to build
>> native Windows programs, not a platform for running POSIX applications like
>> Cygwin, and OT for this list.
>>
>>> There is no way of conveying a double quote in an argument once
>>> globify() decides it has seen a dospath. Neither the `\"` nor `""`
>>> work, because they are both unified to `\"` in quoted() and turned
>>> into a `\\` pattern in globify().
>>
>> Msys2 tools have to make their own arrangements if they support native Windows
>> paths.
>> Personally I found when I used to use DOS and Windows tools, it was easier using
>> slashes instead of backslashes as directory separators, as most interfaces did
>> not care, including most DOS & Windows APIs.

[please Reply to List, or Reply to All and send only to the mailing list
address, to maintain email thread references]

> Use the source, Luke. Globbing on the cmdline, as we all know, is something
> you only care about when you are *not* passing in arguments from a Unix-type
> cmdline, and build_argv in dcrt0.cc does *only* run globify if the parent
> process is *not* Cygwin-powered.
We need to understand your use case(s) and issue(s), and you to explain those to
us.
Please provide at least test vectors showing what you are trying to get, what
you are providing, what you are getting, the difference, and why you think it
should be different.

You can often get code formatted for web mail by using gist or similar editors
or other markdown environments and paste the text as formatted into the web mail
compose window.

You can also attach as text a file or extract showing the file(s) and context(s)
where you create the content, and/or a simple test script or program to do so,
and/or where you think the problem resides, or a patch as at least a context
diff, preferably git format-patch or send-email output.

If you send a patch, please also show how your test vectors, plus a variety of
more normal usage, work before and after your patch is applied.

>>> This is problematic for programmers trying to write a routine to
>>> reliably escape an argument for the Cygwin command-line.
>>
>> Backslash escaping and switching enclosing quotes on shell command lines works
>> reliably to pass any arguments into Cygwin programs, as do the various shell
>> command line parameter and wildcard expansions.

> See above.

Where?
Have you considered bypassing command lines using sockets, pipes, shared memory
segments, memory mapped temporary files, etc.

Have you considered trying to pass argument and environment vectors directly to
the Cygwin program, as would be done by an invoking Cygwin program?

Have you tried using single quotes around problematic arguments, quoted as
required to pass this thru from the calling environment, which if you're calling
a program directly, should not require any escaping or quoting, or could include
whatever other escaping or quoting you need to pass the info transparently,
perhaps via an interop wrapper program or script?