Re: Unable to view pdf files

On 2019-10-11 17:15, Blair, Charles E III wrote:
>    I have not been able to view pdf files, trying:
> (1) midori only offers applications for djvu, jpg,
> and dvi files.
> (2) ghostscript was listed as already installed, but
> gv file.pdf yields "command not found," and "man gv"
> and "man ghostcript" also don't work.  Neither did
> re-installing.
> (3) When I am running emacs and open file.pdf, I get
> a display of code.  If I try C-c C-c to switch on
> DocView, I am told this is undefined.

Install package xpdf to get xpdfreader or package qpdfview to get qpdfview.
Both are offered from Open With... in PCManFM.
I find xpdfreader a bit closer to what you'd expect, but both work without
problems.
You can also install package gv (ghostview), but it has no X desktop menu
integration, and you have to manually launch this, optionally with (a) filename
argument(s).