Process limit in CYGWIN?

Hi all,

I have some test code that forks number of processes, and it looks like under Cygwin it fails at fork number 255 (plus minus one).

There is no getrlimit()'s RLIMIT_NPROC on Cygwin (unlike Unices) yet I see that my shell somehow shows the process limit of 256:
$ ulimit -u
256

I tried to look it up, but nothing useful comes up, so decided to ask the list -- it can be a lot quicker...

1. Is there a limit, indeed?
2. If there is, is it a documented feature?
3. Can it be found out programmatically?  (IDK how bash does it, since like I mentioned, RLIMIT_NPROC is nonexistent,
and even with bash, changing the "-u" limit produces EINVAL, and Cygwin source code confirms that, too.)
4. Can the limit be changed (dynamically or compile time)?

Thanks,
Anton