Re: 3.0.7(0.338/5/3): Possible reference to Developer's instances of dev files in deployed build

>On 12/4/2019 11:18 AM, Wilfed Olaf Sulla via cygwin wrote:

>>> There was also a more recent example:
>>>
>>>       https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-09/msg00228.html ,
>>>
>>> which was fixed here:
>>>
>>>       https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=283cb372e
>>>
>>> Please try the test release cygwin-3.1.0-0.8 to see if the fix also works for
>>> your case.  If not, can you figure out which file in /cygdrive causes the
>>> assertion failure?
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> I have installed cygwin-3.1.0-0.8 and re-run the steps without issue.
>>
>> I looked into this a bit further: the path /cygdrive/ just contains
>> virtual drives mapped onto network shares thus:
>>
>> shackleton:sulla:$ ls
>> c  e  g  v  w  x  y  z
>>
>> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> E: on /cygdrive/e type vfat (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> G: on /cygdrive/g type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> V: on /cygdrive/v type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> W: on /cygdrive/w type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> X: on /cygdrive/x type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> Y: on /cygdrive/y type smbfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> Z: on /cygdrive/z type cifs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>>
>> The network shares were created via Explorer.
>>

>> So long as all the network shares are accessible there is no problem, however
>> if /cygdrive/z is off-line - as was the case when I first encountered
>> the problem
>
>In that case, this is probably the same problem that was reported in
>
>   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-10/msg00155.html,
>
>which has not yet been solved.
>
>Ken
>
>--

Thanks,

Hibernation is disabled on the device so that is not a factor in this
instance. However, the absence of the network share is the factor that
can be directly attributed to the cause of the aborted core dump in the
above.

The call to 'NtCreateFile' on the Z: drive (on the network share that is
offline) triggers the abort in 'ls'. This call appears to be made even
though the Z: drive is not listed by mount. Other than that, my
knowledge of the internals is insufficient to either suggest the exact
cause or a potential solution.

However we know that there is a problem in this area and that it can be
avoided until such time as a fix might become available.

Many thanks for your help.

--

Mutt 1.12.1 (2019-06-15)