Re: non-persistant storage?

On 2019-12-12 18:06, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2019/12/12 13:40, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> Ah!  I think what you want is a tmpfs or ramfs.
>> Not sure if cygwin supports that ...
>>
> ----
>    Easiest thing might be to use /dev/shm. I used it during
> development to store intermediate data that was later to be
> transfered via a fifo...
>
> Basically check for existence of "/dev/shm" (exists on my cygwin).
> if "tmp" didn't already exist, create it w/options similar to
> /tmp (only owner can delete/edit):
>
> mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/shm/tmp
>

> **Warning, "writes" to /dev/shm/tmp (or /dev/mem) can fill up
> your system's memory, so its only good for "small files"
> (small being well under your system's free memory amount).

I've been using /run, with /var/run as a symlink to that, created in a permanent
postinstall script /etc/postinstall/zp_mk_run_var_links.dash (with some others),
for some time. It's currently using ~28KB.

Is it feasible to mount /run on say /dev/shm/run and create and use files there?

Or would it be more feasible to use say Cyg/WinFUSE to provide that function?