Re: Persistent issues around rebasing

On Dec 18 08:40, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Dear Corinna, et al. --
>
> I have had a persistent problem with DLL collision after fork.  When I start
> cygwin I use XLaunch, which starts two bash instances and an xemacs.  These
> come up fine.  However, it is often the case that the xemacs can't fork ls to
> show a directory, or the XWin can't fork additional programs from its menu.
> In such cases I do rebaseall, but even then, it seems that I need some random
> number of Windows restarts to get things where fork works again.  (Of course
> it may not really be random - it may just depend on something I haven;t
> figured out yet!).

I think your main problem is using a 32 bit release.  The huge number
of DLLs requires a big address space.  The chance for collision with
non-Cygwin Windows DLL is extremly high with so many DLLs installed.

These days, I don't recommend a 32 bit release anymore for default
desktop stuff anymore.  You should only use 32 bit if you have a small
package footprint.

For all normal desktop/workstation requirements, use 64 bit Cygwin.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer