Any downside to using winsymlinks over cygwin-style symlinks?

Based on the documentation and practical use of the Windows-style
symlinks (winsymlinks) vs Cygwin-style symlinks, it seems to me that:
1. Winsymlinks have the advantage of working as symlinks/shortcuts
   under both Cygwin and Windows Explorer while Cygwin links are
   recognized only in Cygwin

2. They both are basically text files with some MAGIC numbers and
   attributes that allow them to be interpreted as symlinks

So, is there any *disadvantage* to always using Winsymlinks and indeed
converting my old Cygwin-style links to Windows-style?

(Note: I can't use Windows Native symlinks because I don't have admin
privileges on all my machines)

Finally, where is the best place to set CYGWIN=winsymlinks?
In .bash_profile?

Thanks!
Jeff