Re: Any downside to using winsymlinks over cygwin-style symlinks?

See comments inline
Andrey Repin wrote at about 21:11:55 +0300 on Friday, December 27, 2019:
 > Greetings, Jeff!
 >
 > > Based on the documentation and practical use of the Windows-style
 > > symlinks (winsymlinks) vs Cygwin-style symlinks, it seems to me that:
 > > 1. Winsymlinks have the advantage of working as symlinks/shortcuts
 > >    under both Cygwin and Windows Explorer while Cygwin links are
 > >    recognized only in Cygwin
 >
 > True.
 >
 > > 2. They both are basically text files with some MAGIC numbers and
 > >    attributes that allow them to be interpreted as symlinks
 >
 > NOT true.
 > Windows native symlinks are actual FS objects.
 CYGWIN=winsymlinks is the same as CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk
 This corresponds to Windows-style links, not native Windows symlinks.
 You are referring to CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native or
CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict which refers to the true FS object symlinks

 > > So, is there any *disadvantage* to always using Winsymlinks and indeed
 > > converting my old Cygwin-style links to Windows-style?
 >
 > You can't create native symlinks as a member of Administrators group, even if
 > your account have the needed privilege.

Again note the distinction between winsymlinks and winsymlinks:native

 > > (Note: I can't use Windows Native symlinks because I don't have admin
 > > privileges on all my machines)
 >
 > Exactly.
 >
 > > Finally, where is the best place to set CYGWIN=winsymlinks?
 > > In .bash_profile?
 >
 > If you can't use them, there's no reason to set this option, if you expect
 > interoperability between Windows and Cygwin.

Again note the distinction between winsymlinks and winsymlinks:native
I was referring winsymlinks (or more pedantically winsymlinks:lnk)