Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot

On 2020-01-22 15:08, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-01-22 11:18, ASSI wrote:
>> Andrew J. Schorr writes:

[add cygrunsrv output for completeness]

>>> Thanks for the suggestion; that seems to fix the issue. Is this a known
>>> problem due to some updates to Windows 10 and/or Cygwin? I have not had
>>> this problem in the past.
>>
>> Win10 is better at starting fast (including parallelization of startup
>> across the available cores) and just the fact that TCP/IP is up seems
>> not enough for sshd to function correctly.
>
> I've used dnscache for network service dependencies (and cygserver and syslog-ng
> for other Cygwin services) with delayed start and preshutdown (cygrunsrv -O,
> --preshutdown).
> Where previous usage was cygrunsrv -t, --type manual is now called demand
> service startup type.
>
> You can set service startup type using:
>
> $ sc config cygsshd start= boot|system|auto|demand|disabled|delayed-auto
> # option flag requires = and the value must be a separate argument
>
> and check them using:
>
> $ sc query cygsshd
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cygsshd
>         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>         STATE              : 4  RUNNING
>                                 (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_PRESHUTDOWN)
>         WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
>         SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
>         CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
>         WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
> $ sc qc cygsshd
> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cygsshd
>         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>         START_TYPE         : 3   DEMAND_START
>         ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
>         BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\...\bin\cygrunsrv.exe
>         LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
>         TAG                : 0
>         DISPLAY_NAME       : CYGWIN sshd
>         DEPENDENCIES       : dnscache
>                            : cygserver
>                            : syslog-ng
>         SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

$ cygrunsrv -VQ cygsshd
Service             : cygsshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop, Preshutdown
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Manual
Dependencies        : dnscache, cygserver, syslog-ng
Account             : LocalSystem