Completely failing to understand OLink

Sorry about this.  I've been working my way through the docs and trying to
come up with some examples of my own, but it all fails horribly.

I'm looking for examples of using OLink.  Specifically, I've got two
documents (A and B) and I need to link from A to B.

Both of them are being converted to HTML, and both of them are converted
to chunked and non-chunked (i.e., multiple HTML files, and one big HTML
file) formats.  Oh, and I really don't want to have to use a public FPI
to refer to B, I'd rather use a SYSTEM one.

I've got as far as this in "A" (and "B" is in ../handbook/book.sgml)

    <DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [

    <!ENTITY otherdoc SYSTEM "../handbook/book.sgml">
    ]>

    <article>

       <docinfo>
         <modespec id="otherms">../handbook/</modespec>
       </docinfo>

       <para><olink targetdocent="otherdoc" linkmode="otherms"
            localinfo="id-to-link-to"></olink></para>

    </article>

I've also used olink.dsl to create book.olink in the handbook/ directory.
However Jade spits out

  "otherdoc" is not a data or subdocument entity

when I try to build the HTML file, and things go downhill from there.

Has anyone got things working with this sort of set up?