Re: Re: Can a DocBook Wizard Spare A Few Minutes?

> Section 3 of the documentation that comes with the stylesheets covers
> this ("Customizing the stylesheets").
>
> If you look there at the "Customizing the Title Page" section you will
> see that the variable %book-titlepage-recto-elements% controls what elements
> will appear on the title page.

<BLUSH> I did not download the zip file that had the documentation in it.</BLUSH>

Bingo!  I will read this document a couple of times and see if things become clearer.

>   % cd /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/html
>   % grep book-titlepage-recto-elements *
>   XREF:book-titlepage-recto-elements
>   dbttlpg.dsl:(define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
>   dbttlpg.dsl:                               (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
>   dbttlpg.dsl:                   (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
>
> If you look in dbttlpg.dsl you'll see
>
>   (define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
>     (list (normalize "title")
>           (normalize "subtitle")
>           (normalize "graphic")
>           (normalize "mediaobject")
>           (normalize "corpauthor")
>           (normalize "authorgroup")
>           (normalize "author")
>           (normalize "editor")
>           (normalize "copyright")
>           (normalize "abstract")
>           (normalize "legalnotice")))
>
> As you can see, "edition" is not in there by default.  So, in your own
> stylesheet (which is a customisation layer of Norm's, you can put
>
>   (define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
>     (list (normalize "title")
>           (normalize "subtitle")
>           (normalize "graphic")
>           (normalize "mediaobject")
>           (normalize "corpauthor")
>           (normalize "authorgroup")
>           (normalize "author")
>           (normalize "edition")
>           (normalize "editor")
>           (normalize "copyright")
>           (normalize "abstract")
>           (normalize "legalnotice")))
>
> See how I've redefined the variable definition, and added "edition" in?  If
> you do that in your stylesheet you should see the edition info appearing
> on your output.  Of course, if you want other elements to appear on the
> title page (or fewer) then alter this list to taste.

I think that this simple example might (should) go into the "DocProj Primer"
for those who may need to modify this stuff.  Now,  I know this is handing
a loaded shovel to an idiot,  and I know that once people start changing
the DSSSL horrible things happen... But it would be nice to know.

> Norm:  While this method is feasible, and documented, it's not particularly
> user friendly.  Any chance we could have per-element variables that control
> this sort of thing?
>
>     (define %book-titlepage-edition%
>       #t)
>
> is a little easier to document. . .
>
> Cheers,

To tell you the truth,  I think that the method that you have outlined
is better,  as:

Some people want:

    Title
   Subtitle
   Edition

Others want:

   title
  subtitle
   author
   edition

Sigh...
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   858-874-6543 FAX 858-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)