Re: Creating or converting PDF images

> rosss@research.oneworld.com writes:
>  > What are people using to create PDF format images?  I've got a bunch
>  > of screenshots as PNG files, and when I convert them to PDF with Image
>  > Magick they come out badly, not completely unusable, but definately
>  > worse than they started out.  If I just use the PNG files, they also
>  > show up in the resulting book PDF with this same reduced quality.
>
> if this is the pdfjadetex route, then use PNG as is. pdftex makes no
> change to the PNG files, just passes them through. you could try
> JPEG, if you prefer

Thanks Sebastian, it is the pdfjadetex route, but using PNG is still a
problem.  If I just use PNG files, I also get reduced quality in the
resulting PDF document.  The images that are showing up in the PDF
aren't the same quality as the PNG files I start with.  Something
bad's happening to them on the way, and I'm trying to figure out what
it is.

I was trying to work around this by generating PDF files myself, to
see if I could get better quality, and then see if it would make it
into the PDF document from there.  So far I haven't had any luck.

Thanks again Sebastian, any further insight would be helpful.

Sean Ross
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
rosss@research.oneworld.com