Re: DOCBOOK: Efficiently including images in DocBook

[ shifting this to -apps ]

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 01:17:48PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
> | Producing the postscript version doesn't work.  For some reason, although
> | fig1.eps exists in the same directory, the stylesheets don't use fig1.eps,
> | and instead use the contents of the textobject, so I get ASCII art in my
> | Postscript output.
>
> Uh, that's odd. If you send me your stylesheet and a short test
> document I'll run my eyeballs over it.

It's attached.  I've verified this with 1.57 of the stylesheets.  The HTML
and HTML-without-graphics versions are produced correctly, the PS and PDF
versions both use the ASCII art instead of the appropriate image file.

Adjust build.sh to taste.  driver.dsl might look a little odd, but it's
just my way of merging the print and HTML stylesheets.

> | I tried an alternative method, where I include two imageobjects, but wrap
> | them with the parameter entities so that only one is visible to the processor
> | when the document is converted;
> |
> |    <mediaobject>
> |      <![ %output.png; [
> |      <imageobject>
> |        <imagedata fileref="fig1.png" format="png">
> |      </imageobject>
> |      ]]>
> |
> |      <![ %output.eps; [
> |      <imageobject>
> |        <imagedata fileref="fig1.eps" format="eps">
> |      </imageobject>
> |      ]]>
>
> If you go with this approach, I recommend that you leave both images
> in (skip the marked sections) and teach the stylesheets to explicitly
> select the right one.

As they currently stand, the stylesheets can't make this choice -- you
can't use EPS with PDF (at least, not with my toolchain) but the stylesheets
assume that if you're using the tex backend then they should always select
the EPS image.  For PDF you want it to use the PNG (which is why I'm trying
to use the simpler solution of tweaking %graphic-default-extension% instead).

image-test.tar