Re: Re: DOCBOOK: Efficiently including images in DocBook

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 08:10:27AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> | It's attached.  I've verified this with 1.57 of the stylesheets.  The HTML
> | and HTML-without-graphics versions are produced correctly, the PS and PDF
> | versions both use the ASCII art instead of the appropriate image file.
>
> Ok, the trouble is that mediaobject doesn't have exactly the same semantics
> as graphic. The whole point of mediaobject was to allow documents to specify
> multiple alternative presentations. You have:

<snip>

> And you're expectation is that the stylesheets will use
> %graphic-default-extension% to augment 'fig1' appropriately. What you
> "should" have in your document is:
>
>     <mediaobject>
>       <imageobject>
> 	<imagedata fileref="fig1.eps">
>       </imageobject>
>       <imageobject>
> 	<imagedata fileref="fig1.png">
>       </imageobject>
>       <textobject>
> 	<literallayout>
> +---------+
> |    A    |
> +---------+
> 	</literallayout>
>       </textobject>
>       <textobject>
> 	<phrase>My first image</phrase>
>       </textobject>
>     </mediaobject>

Last time I tried that, the stylesheets got confused.  Specifically, if you
were using the print stylesheet then they would select the .eps file.  This
broke PDF generation, where the .png file should be used.  The only way
I came up with to stop this was to either

 a) Use marked sections to turn on or off different imageobjects as
    necessary (which is ugly, as you need to do it for each image)

or

 b) Fiddle with the filename extension as per my example.

> With this markup, the print and HTML stylesheets will make the right
> selections.

I've just tried that.

book.html 		Works as expected.

book.html-txt	 	Includes the image, instead of replacing it with
			the <literallayout> section.

book.ps			Works as expected.

book.pdf		Doesn't include the image, the log includes

                        "! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps."

                        because the stylesheets are assuming that print
                        output means that they should always use the EPS
                        file, which is not the case for PDF output and
                        pdfjadetex.

This is the situation I'm trying to work around.

> Having said that, I've also fixed it so that a single imageobject with a
> filename that does not have an extension works as you expected :-)

Can you send me the patch, and I'll check that it works as expected here.

Thanks,