Re: Anyone have comments about sourceforge?

I believe that a solution such as sourceforge is the right approach.  The
problem to be solved here is to create a reliable methodology and supporting
infrastructure to allow contributions from a variety of sources, solicited or
unsolicited, to rapidly mature the product.  To do this most effectively
requires the direction and control of a visionary leader, unencumbered by
the more mundane tasks that should be performed by other contributors.

This is not a new problem, and one that an effective open-source development
portal helps solve.  As the docbook development community becomes more
effective at not attending to the generic problems and complexity, more of
the brain power and efforts can be directed toward the docbook-specific
problems and complexity.

My $0.02,
Lane.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 06:08:11PM +0530, madhu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > As my ability to make timely updates becomes more strained, and the
> > number of people submitting patches to my stylesheets grows, I'm
> > With that in mind, does anyone have comments, good or bad, about
> > sourceforge or any of the other "open source" development portals?
> >
> > Feel free to send me your comments privately if you wish.
> >
> >                                         Be seeing you,
> >                                           norm
> very commendable but has the affairs come to such a sorry state that Norman
> Walsh has to look for a free public protals that none of the big guns like
> Redhat, SuSe or caldera for example who have been definitely benefitted from
> long years of contribution from Norman walsh cannot sponsor a dedicated cvs
> server .
> but i am sure among the many respected members of this list who hold influential
> posts at these companies have already taken up this matter with their respective
> companies and have initiated atleast some discussion on this.
> i am also sure that they need no reminder from me (poor) ;-) and i assume i
> am very late in thinking about this.
>
> that was just a loud thinking on my part . i am not trying to imply something
> or rather anything for that matter
>
> regards
>
> thank you
>     --