Re: Newbie: XSL and HTML-Transformation with XT

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Ali Saffari wrote:

> > I don't follow why you need to stay with XT for HTML-Help.
> > The contrib/htmlhelp/docbook.xsl stylesheet file imports
> > html/chunk.xsl and has methods for chunking
> > in saxon and xalan too.
>
> Here are some lines from the documentation on the header
> of the docbook.xsl in <instdir>/contrib/htmlhelp/

> Currently only XT processor is supported, because I had not time to
> install Saxon and Xalan and play with them. Hope, that there will
> be standard mechanism for multiple ouput files in future version of
> XSLT standard.

In fact, stylesheet was patched, but readme at the start not. See
ChangeLog:

2000-10-11 Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>

	* docbook.xsl: Patch by Chui Tey to support other chunkers

You can use HTML Help support now also with Saxon and Xalan.

Some time ago Norm posted message to this list, that he wants to setup CVS
access to stylesheets. He also noted, that in future there may be write
access to the repository for more developers. This may solve problems like
this, where actually stylesheet code is a few steps before documentation.
For example, if I had access to CVS, I would changed it. But I do not want
to overload Norm with e-mails with not so important changes and bug
reports (of course, documentation is very important, but for this time
there are more important issuess in stylesheets from my point of view).
But changing development from centralised to more distributed and
open-source model is not as easy as changing default background color in
your browser. ;)

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz