Re: XSL Error using Xalan and Norm Walsh'shtml/docbook.xsl

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Bob Stayton wrote:

> > I get the following error whether I run Xalan 1_2_D02 via the command line
> > or from within Cocoon:
> >
> > XSL Error: pattern = '$toc.list.type = 'dl''
> > VariableReference given for variable out of context or without
> > definition!  Name = toc.list.type, source tree node: #document
>
> You need to update your Xalan package. The Xalan 1_2_D02
> version contained Xerces 1.1.3, which was responsible for
> this particular error message.  Try Xalan 1_2_2 instead,
> which has Xerces 1.2.

That did, indeed, fix the problem -- thanks.  Xalan 1.2.2 will work both
at the command line and within Cocoon (1.8.2), despite not being the
version shipped with Cocoon 1.8.2.  (I don't know if upgrading to 1.2.2
causes any _other_ problems for Cocoon as a whole, though.)

[As an aside for others new to Cocoon, I was initially getting only 500
Internal Server Error responses from Apache, although I had verified it to
work at the command line.  The machine testing Cocoon is a comparatively
slow P166 -- way too slow for Java -- and JServ was timing out waiting for
output from Cocoon.  The fix is in the FAQ at xml.apache.org: increase
ApJServVMTimeout in jserv.conf.]

--
Paul.