Re: Problem converting DB to PDF...

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:03:24PM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Nik Clayton writes:
>  > I discovered that if I convert PNG images to EPS files and then run them
>  > through TeX they appear about twice the size they should do.  For
>  > example, an 80x24 xterm takes up almost half the page.
>
> I'd look closely at your PNG to EPS tool. Its plainly broken. I would not
> build a huge edifice on an inadequate tool.....

I don't think so.  I saw this if I used pdftex and used the .png files
*natively*.  They still appeared about twice as large as I'd like them
to be in the generated .pdf file.

This wouldn't have been a problem *if* I could have reliably converted
from PNG to PDF.  If I could have done that then I could have just upped
the DPI when converting from PNG to EPS and PNG to PDF.

Sadly, every time I tried this (whether I was using Ghostscript
directly, or ImageMagick, or any of the NetPBM stuff) I got a broken PDF
file.

Suppose I had xterm.png.  I could convert that to xterm.pdf, and load
xterm.pdf up in Acrobat, and it looked fine.  If I then had a document
that pulled in xterm.pdf, the document looked fine, but the image was
corrupt.  It looked like the colours had shifted, and, moving down the
image, every line was offset one pixel to the right of the previous
line.