Re: Normalizing spaces?

At 09:12 AM 5/9/01 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
/ "M. Wroth" <mark@astrid.upland.ca.us> was heard to say:
| Here is an example of content:

|           fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86
|           and Aug 88) <q>however this is blazoned, in appearance it
|           includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for
|           Society usage</q>. RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple
|           geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a
|           chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center
|           of the field. </p>

[... I clip Norman's demonstration that spaces are preserved, for space reasons ...]

Norman then asks

So I'm still confused about what special processing you see being
applied to spaces.

When I do the equivalent with DocBook and the Modular DSSSL style sheets, spaces are not preserved, and I'm trying to figure out how that is accomplished.

Oh, wait a minute. Are you processing this with the JadeTeX backend!?
*TeX* automatically converts multiple spaces into a single space.
Could that be it?

No -- this is primarily (maybe exclusively) an RTF backend process (I also process the various documents involved with the sgml backend, both as a transformation step (in the case of the non-DocBook example) and to get HTML output (in   both cases).  But the effect is principally of interest in the RTF backend, as I'm trying to persuade people that an SGML/XML approach is appropriate, and to integrate it into the followon processing, RTF (or MS Word .doc) is desired.

Mark B. Wroth
<mark@astrid.upland.ca.us>