line length in elements displayed verbatim

Hi there,

In <programlisting> and other elements displayed verbatim, are there any
tricks available to make it look good in html, where page width is not
such an issue and pdf where it is? I'm considering writing the document
with limited line lengths in programlistings and using a &larrhk;
("leftwards arrow with hook") and some indentation to indicate a line
wrap. I'd then preprocess away the &larrhk; + n spaces before going to
html with xslt.

I suspect someone has already figured out a good way to deal with this
situation, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
David