Re: Problem with preface and jadetex

Kevin Dunn wrote:

> From: "o.t" <o.t@altavista.net>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 23:34:24 +0200
>
> >dsssl stylesheets 1.70, jadetex 3.7, openjade 1.3
> >
> >I didn't have this problem with jadetex 3.5.
> >
> >I have a document with a preface. I produce TeX output and run Jadetex
> >on it. I get errors which look like this:
> >----------------------------------
> >! Missing number, treated as zero.
> ><to be read again>
> >l.267 {1}}
>
> I get the same thing with stylesheets 1.64. There are several issues with "Preface"
>
> 1. The front matter has roman page numbers. So does the Preface, but the page number restarts at "i". Subsequently, Chapter 1 starts on page "1". It seems to me that the Preface should not be restart page numbering when %page-number-restart% is #f. This appears to be a stylesheet bug.
>
> 2. Jadetex appears to have difficulty with roman numerals in the TOC. Not being a TeXspert, I don't know if this is a TeX problem or a JadeTeX problem. But if you use arabic page numbers for the Preface, the problem goes away.
>
> My workaround at the moment is to make two simple changes to the .tex file before running jadetex:
>
> At the beginning of the Preface, change
>
> {1}\def\PageNumberRestart%
> {1}\def\PageNumberFormat%
> {0}\def\StartIndent%

> {1}\def\PageNumberRestart%
> {1}\def\PageNumberFormat%
> {1}\def\StartIndent%
>
> This gives the Preface arabic page numbers and restarts the page numbering.
>
> Then go to the beginning of Chapter 1 and change
>
> {1}\def\PageNumberRestart%
> {1}\def\PageNumberFormat%
> {1}\def\StartIndent%

> {1}\def\PageNumberRestart%
> {0}\def\PageNumberFormat%
> {1}\def\StartIndent%
>
> This stops the page numbers from restarting on Chapter 1.
>
> Jadetex 3.7 then produces roman page numbers for the front matter starting at "i" and arabic page numbers for the rest of the book, starting the Preface on page "1". Which is reasonable.

You need jadetex 3.8 which fixes the problem where the chapter following
the chapter which is supposed to have its page number reset has its page
number reset ;-).

You also want either Richard Sharpe's or my fix to the stylesheet which
stops the page number being reset at the table of contents etc. See my
email about "success with double sided printing"...

> Question for Sebastian: can Jadetex be made to handle roman numerals in the TOC? In 3.7 it complains when it finds a roman page number there.

Yes.... (see my other message on this subject).