Re: jadetex: page numbering

This is interesting.

I've not had time to look at it in detail... so this is just what I
*think* is going on...

Firstly, it isn't a problem with jadetex.

The implementation of "PageNumberRestart" is very very simple. Think of
it as a simple external function to DSSSL. If you want to restart the
page number of this "component" to 1, the simply call the function in
the stylesheet.

This is what the stylesheet does. At the beginning of the page sequence
of a chapter, it says "if this is the first chapter, then reset the page
number to 1). Other things being equal, then this is the only time in a
<book> when this will be done.

However, if you have %page-number-restart% set to true, the every
component will have its page number reset. Components are things like
chapters, appendices, glossaries and references.

So, there is an underlying assumption in the DSSSL that a <book>
consists of <chapters> and the first chapter starts at page 1. This
falls down when you do not have chapters in the book.

So there are three things that you can do:

1) Include the <refentry> in a chapter.
2) Put the <refentry> in a <reference> and set %page-number-restart% to
true
3) Add addition logic to the DSSSL - so as well as maintaining the
internal variable %first-chapter% it maintains one called
%first-reference% which is true for the scope of the first <reference>
then embed the <refentry> in that.

You probably want either 1) or 3)....

Hope that helps.. [the main point is that it is a stylesheet issue
rather than jadetex]