Re: section numbering depth

> From: Yann Dirson <ydirson@alcove.fr>
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:37:05PM +0200, Jens Hauptmann wrote:
> > is there parameter to limit the depth of section numbering in the xsl
> > stylesheets to a certain section level (using docbook-xsl-1.41, saxon
> > 6.4.3, fop-0.19)?
> >
> > To limit the section depth listed in the toc I included <xsl:param
> > name="toc.section.depth" select="3"/> to my param.xsl customization
> > stylesheet which has no affect at all? I'm not that familiar yet with xsl
> > and the stylesheets - is there another attribute I could set?
>
> See https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=439079&group_id=21935&atid=373750
>
> Looks like you should use generate.section.toc.level

Well, not quite.  The two section toc parameters are a bit
confusing.  The generate.section.toc.level parameter
controls which section levels will have a toc list
generated at the top of the section.  In other words, "the
section levels in which to generate a section toc listing".
If it is set to "2", then you'll see a Table of Contents
listing at the top of each sect1 and sect2 (and equivalent
nested section elements).  The default is set to "10",
so essentially all sections will have their own TOC by default.

The toc.section.depth parameter, on the other hand,
controls the depth of nested sections that are included in
a given toc, counting from the top.  For example, if it is
set to "2", then the chapter-level TOC will list its sect1
and sect2 titles, and the sect1-level TOC will list its
sect2 titles.  If generate.section.toc.level is greater
than toc.section.depth, then tocs of further depth show only one
level, their own children sections.  That is to prevent
showing an empty toc.

But this is all moot in this case, because Jens is
processing with the fo XSL stylesheets which have
no parameters for controlling toc levels.  I believe
Norm intends to improve that situation when he
gets a chance.

BTW,
Thanks for filing the feature request to enhance the
control of tables of contents.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com