From: Dennis Grace [mailto:dgrace@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 9:55 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Best tool for DocBook

<snip>

Here's one tiny example (I can offer dozens), of the kind of problems I see
with Emacs. We put a new author on Emacs/psgml a few weeks ago, and after
going through the tutorial she couldn't figure out how to open a new
document. She's young, and she has very little UNIX experience, but she's
an intelligent woman. I grant that she may have gone through the tutorial
too quickly, but the Emacs help system is a disorganized mess. She pulled
down the *Help* menu, and she simply could not find anything that said, "To
start a new document in Emacs,...." What the tutorial actually says is,
"You can also find a file which does not already exist. This is the way to
create a file with Emacs;...." For a vi user, this makes perfect sense, to
a Windows or Mac user, it's gibberish. I'm sure this information is also
available elsewhere, but it's not clearly or readily available. (Please
don't send me notes telling me all the places I might find this
datum--that's not my point). I admit also that I'm spoiled by GUIs. I want
a button or a menu item that clearly says *New*. I also want a Help menu
that offers help. Emacs offers neither.

<snip>