Re: legacy includes

/ Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk> was heard to say:
| This will provide the functionality.
| Has anyone any better ideas for this 'update' type of work please?
| Any suggested markup (both block and inline), or have others abused role attr
| and para type elements?

The effectivity attributes (probably 'condition' in this case;
<para condition='update'> or <para condition='full'> or some such) are
intended for purposes such as this one.

You're on the right track. And I think you'll find a stylesheet at the
SourceForge sight that does effectively the identity transformation
except that it can be tuned to exclude elements with the "wrong"
effectivity.

It's much, much simpler to do this kind of work in a two-pass
approach: filter to DocBook that only has the set of effectivities you
want and then style it. Trying to get the stylesheets to render and
filter at the same time is horribly complicated.

If you run into cases where you can't duplicate the markup, such as
title, use phrase:

  <section><title><phrase condition='update'
  >Update Title</phrase><phrase condition='full'>Full
  Title</phrase></title>

Similar tricks will have to be used for places where ID values can't
be duplicated.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--