Re: Any suggestions on Java problems? (with Saxon)

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 09:51:20PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> I find saxon much better than xsltproc in terms of output.  For example,
> saxon outputs entity references  for latin-1 characters.  Also, xsltproc

  xsltproc will too if you don't specify an encoding. There are problems
remapping entities, some browsers have well know deficiencies to handle
some entities (laquo, raquo, oelig, etc ...). I could play the game of guessing
what entities should be provided and which one should not, etc. by
trying on all available browsers. There is unfortunately only one way to
make sure character not encodable on the specified encoding will be
understood by a given browser, it's to make a decimal character reference.
We can then debate what is nicer, a lot of people still have as a priority
taht the output is interoperable.

> does  not yet  fully  implements the  XSLT standard.   I  once tried  to
> process a document written with  Resume DTD, and xsltproc failed whereas
> saxon did the job perfectly.

  I didn't get any bug report from you. No bug report mean no improvement.
Libxml is supposed to implement XSLT-1.0 standard fully. It does not
implement XSLT-1.1 which is not a standard (and will never be, it's official).
It you tested a few months ago, then no surprize, xsltproc development started
in January and 1.0 was only available in July.

> If you read M. Kay's  book, I'm sure you will be  a Saxon addict.  IMHO,
> it is really a professional XSLT processor, it is very careful about all
> the subtleties of implementing XSLT.

  I am very happy of Mr Kay book. I don't like the way he's playing with
the (now dead) XSLT-1.1 spec to not make Saxon compliant to XSLT-1.0.

  Concerning my own ability at implementing a correct XSLT processor,
well you may not trust me, others do. I will also note that conformance
to the XSLT specification does *not* include any serialization part
(reread the spec if you don't believe me), so bashing libxslt non-conformance
on the output would be simply improper :-)

  Now I still wait for pointer to XSL/DTD where xsltproc fails so I can
fix it if this is not the case.

Daniel