Re: Need help including c source

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:42:53AM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > From: Yann Dirson <ydirson@alcove.fr>
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:12:49AM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > > I'm trying to include C source into docbook but I'm having problems with
> > > the #include <stdio.h>. I really would like to have the source compile
> > > as is and include as is into the document.
> >
> > Instead of using an entity, you can use:
> >
> > <imagedata fileref="foo.c" format="linespecific">
> >
> > That roughly means, consider foo.c as an image encoded in the
> > "linespecific" format - not a common way of looking at things, but
> > semantically correct I think.
> >
> > docbook-dsssl 1.73 should work out-of-the box with this construct, I
> > don't know for sure about docbook-xsl, which I don't use.
>
> Docbook-xsl should handle it if you are using Saxon or
> Xalan processors, but not libxslt yet.  It requires
> setting the params 'use.extensions' and
> 'textinsert.extension' to 1 so the text
> insertion extensions in Saxon or Xalan will be utilized.

  Embedding source examples is really important.
Is there a description of those extension ? A pointer
would be welcome. I assume foo.c is an URI-Reference.

> Without the extensions, the XSL output looks like this:

>   actuate="onLoad" href="foo.c"></a></div>
>
> This is a bit of a hybrid between HTML and XLink,
> since HTML doesn't have 'show' or 'actuate' attributes
> for the <A> element. Since a browser won't 'show'
> the link, and since the <A> element contains no
> text, this is an invisible link.

  Hum, interesting. Except it would require xlink:type
xlink:show xlink:actuate and xlink:href to really work
(it has been a long debate and I would prefer to not go
through it over again, at least not before a some rest).
So in the current form it is not proper for XLink recognition.
  Relying on the user agent to do the Right Thing is a bit
risky in this case.

Daniel