[szucker@mac.com: Re: docbook.dcl related errors withopenjade]

----- Forwarded message from Sasha Zucker <szucker@mac.com> -----

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:44:03 -0600
From: Sasha Zucker <szucker@mac.com>
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Subject: Re: docbook.dcl related errors with openjade

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:24:37PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Sasha Zucker <szucker@mac.com> was heard to say:
> | I have figured out that if I include docbook.dcl as an argument of
> | openjade, I won't get the errors. But why isn't adding SGMLDECL
> | "docbook.dcl" to docbook.cat getting rid of these errors?
>
> Is there another SGMLDECL before or after that one? Is the catalog containing
> this line in your catalog path or files list?

norm,

wow, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

In brief, once I realized that the SGMLDECL directives were the problems (which translates into hours of reading list archives and online manuals), I hunted them down and pared down my catalog as appropriate.

The not-so-brief: unaware of the chaos that would result, I had set up a catalog file in share/sgml that pointed to every catalog installed by docbook (v1.0 - XML 4.1.2) openjade, and your modular stylesheets. After a couple of hours of searching list archives, reading SGML manuals, and fiddling with catalog files, I realized that including certain catalog files (such as pre-docbook 3.x and certain catalogs included with openjade) would start breaking things. So, I distilled my catalog down to the following:

CATALOG "/sw/share/sgml/dsssl/docbook-dsssl-nwalsh/catalog"
CATALOG "/sw/share/sgml/dtd/docbook/catalog"
CATALOG "/sw/share/sgml/entities/iso8879/catalog"
CATALOG "/sw/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/dsssl/catalog"
CATALOG "/sw/share/xml/dtd/docbookx/catalog"

the docbook catalogs only point to docbook >= v3.0

Note: I use /sw as the base directory because I am working on fink (http://fink.sf.net) packages to install docbook dtds/dsssl and sgml entities correctly on macos x.

On the bright side, the package finally installs correctly. All I have to do post install is comment out the DTDDECL directives. When the package is finalized, MacOS X fink/users will be able to set up a complete docbook authoring environment with a few commands, which will hopefully mean less newbie questions from the likes of me. ;)

thanks for your time,

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Sasha Zucker