Re: need help with DocBook customization

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 10:17, Yann Dirson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:34:43AM +0000, Ian Castle wrote:

> > jade only supports the simple-page-sequence, which only allows a single
> > line in the header/footer. If you try to stick a logo in you run into
> > problems... text on the main page becomes out of whack - esp. with
> > things like tables.
>
> No, header/footers allow any inline content, and that may include
> inlined images.  I have even written a stylesheet that puts an EPS in
> the left margin, by putting a page-height image in the left-header,
> and that caused no problem at all to jadetex.

You got me worried... so I've had a quick look at ISO/IEC 10179:1996, in
section "12.6.3 Simple-page-sequence flow object class" it says...

    "A simple-page-sequence may have a single-line header and footer
containing text that is constant except for a page number."

Which is about all that I can find in the standard about this.

The interesting thing is that it says "text" rather than "inline
content" or whatever.

My intepretation (when looking at why I couldn't put a picture in the
header/footer some time ago) was that "text" specifically excluded
images.

So, my opinion on images in headers/footers is that

- It doesn't really work
- It would be hard to fix
- If it did work it would break the standard

The last point is enough to make me not want to spend any more hours
struggling with jadetex, fancyhdr etc.

So, if you want that feature then I think the best thing is to look to
XSLT...