Re: need help with DocBook customization

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:31:19AM +0000, Ian Castle wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 10:17, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:34:43AM +0000, Ian Castle wrote:
>
> > > jade only supports the simple-page-sequence, which only allows a single
> > > line in the header/footer. If you try to stick a logo in you run into
> > > problems... text on the main page becomes out of whack - esp. with
> > > things like tables.
> >
> > No, header/footers allow any inline content, and that may include
> > inlined images.  I have even written a stylesheet that puts an EPS in
> > the left margin, by putting a page-height image in the left-header,
> > and that caused no problem at all to jadetex.
> >

> You got me worried... so I've had a quick look at ISO/IEC 10179:1996, in
> section "12.6.3 Simple-page-sequence flow object class" it says...
>
>     "A simple-page-sequence may have a single-line header and footer
> containing text that is constant except for a page number."

Ah, I had missed this one.

> Which is about all that I can find in the standard about this.

In the final draft (I don't have the official standard, damned be ISO
for their closed policy), a couple of lines below you have:

"left-header: is an unlabeled sosofo containing only inline flow
objects that is aligned with the left margin of the page in the header
line."

This is the one I based myself on.  I don't know whether we should
infer that the standard contradict itself, or whether the first
statement restrict the second one.  At least I don't know what's the
point of duplicating 6 times an unrestricted statement, just to have
all of them further restricted by another one, distant in the text :(

> So, my opinion on images in headers/footers is that
[...]
> - If it did work it would break the standard

I guess that (open)jade accepting displayed sosofos here is a bug.
Maybe accepting someting other tha text is also a bug.

But DSSSL is extensible.  I don't know whether the extension would be
allowed to use the existing "left-header" & such properties, but at
the very least, propserties like "displayed-left-header" could be
created as an extension.

> The last point is enough to make me not want to spend any more hours
> struggling with jadetex, fancyhdr etc.

Yay, that's the only one against which I had something to say !  ;)

> So, if you want that feature then I think the best thing is to look to
> XSLT...

Or to implementing page-sequence ?  I've not looked deep into this,
and have no idea of the difficulty to map this to TeX...

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre