Ant "Style" task does not work with docbook xsl, why?

I use ant build files for automatic publishing tasks which is _very_ useful.

ant has a built-in "style" task that invoces xalan to make xsl
transformations. it works with all xsl stylesheets I have written, but
does not work with N. Walshs docbook (html) stylesheets. (with no error
btw: the task is simply ignored).

any ideas?

thank you

Alex