Re: XSL: Docbook to foreign DTD

/ Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> was heard to say:

| [Using Namespace in XSL to generate XSL from Docbook]
|
|  Bob> You need to make a couple of changes to get the namespace into
|  Bob> the attribute name.  First, you need to declare the namespace
|  Bob> and prefix in your stylesheet:
|
|  Bob> <xsl:stylesheet
|  Bok>     xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
|  Bob>     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; version="1.0">
|
| That leaves me with the top level element
| <book xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>, where the
| xmlns:xlink attribute  is not declared in the DTD.  What I do have in
| the DTD is:

If you want to limit the namespace declarations in the output, put the xmlns:
on the xsl:template that processes xrefs, not at the top level:

 <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
 <xsl:template match="xref" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; version="1.0">
   match on xlink:type etc, whatever you want
 </xsl:template>
 </xsl:stylesheet>

That usually limits the placement of namespace decls in the output to
appropriate places.

Note, however, that the XSLT Rec requires only that processors output
sufficient namespace declarations to form a legal XML+Namespaces
document.

The fact that namespaces and DTDs don't play well together is just an
unfortunate fact.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--